So, tomorrow is Amanda's 11th birthday. I can tell you what was happening 11 years ago tonight...that was a time that we will never, ever forget. Chris and Bill were visiting me in the hospital, Brandon was in Texas at my ex-husband's house and Amanda was 26 weeks gestation and we were doing all we could to keep her inside of me. Chris, Bill and I played Scrabble...Chris was 11 at the time and beating us because the nurse was helping him with all of these hard words! :) Bill left to take Chris to his mom's house and I started getting a headache. Bill came back to the hospital and they took me down for a CT Scan because they were afraid I had a blood clot. I was so scared...Bill held my hand as the machine clicked and whirred. They found no clot, thankfully and Bill went home for the night.
4:00AM...they come in to draw blood and weigh me.
6:00AM...the resident opens the door, stands in the doorway and says..."Today we will have to take her." What????? She is not due until the end of October? You said she weighed less than a pound on Friday...Nooooooooo....
I called Bill immediately, how do I tell him that our daughter will be born today and may not live. It didn't matter to me that my body was about to give out and he was about to lose me...how could I do this to my daughter? my husband? Let me tell you, God and I had a heated conversation. Then He told me what to do...I planned Amanda's funeral, just in case...I planned a little boy's funeral, just in case Amanda wasn't a girl...I asked God for protection over my baby...I called some friends to come and sit at the hospital, just in case I died Bill would have someone there...I called my mom who was on her way anyway, just in case I would never talk to her again and to ask her to pray....I called my dad and we cried together as he prayed and then promised to be in SC from Texas before the day was over...then I had the most undescribable peace settle over me. A friend's pastor came and prayed with us...my parent's pastor (Bro. Donnie) called and prayed with us, with the words of encouragement that God was on the mountain top and could see the valley and cliffs that we would have to go through or jump off of and God would guide us. What a morning...what a morning!
At 11:38AM, Amanda Ranea Reeves arrived into this world. She weighed 1 lb. 7.4 oz and was 13 inches long. I saw her for a split second before she was rushed to the NICU which would be her home for the next 84 days. My body was rebelling so they wouldn't let me out of bed for about 36 hours, it was agony not getting to see Amanda, not being able to be with her, only seeing a picture of her. My family came from Texas, relieved that I was still alive and happy to know that Amanda was alive also. We all knew it would be a long road, but had no idea of the ups and downs that would come.
So, now she is turning 11. I can tell you that 11 years ago, I never allowed myself to dream of this day. We leave for CentriKid (kid's church camp) tomorrow and I plan on enjoying my time with the girls. I never dreamed Amanda would be the loving girl she is today. She brings laughter to our home, she is caring and becoming quite the young lady. My little girl comes back out every once in awhile, but most of the time a quiet, maturing young lady is what we get...and I love her so much. I thank God for her...I thank God that we experienced a miracle...I thank God that I can be Amanda's mom.
Take time this week to give your kiddos an extra hug. Make a memory with them and when I survive...I mean... get back from camp, I'll share with you the memories that I made with Amanda and the girls this week!
Thanks for reading...
Happy birthday, Amanda...Mommy loves you!
My 3 positives...
1. Miracles do really happen!
2. God cares as much about me today as He did 11 years ago...I just need to TRUST!
3. I still have Amanda at home for at least another 7 years! :)
Sunday, July 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment