Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Still keepin' it positive?

How do you "keep it positive" when it seems like the world is crashing in all around you? I hate to turn on the TV, listen to the radio or see the headlines on the internet or in the newspaper. It is to the point that every day I am hearing of someone else who got laid off, hours cut, pay cut or being forced to take days off without pay. I also hear on the flip side that things are going to get better, the "O" administration promises to turn things around and that our children and grandchildren will not suffer because of the mess things have become in our nation. So, how do you "keep it positive", I will ask once again?

I have to admit, I have struggled with this. I don't "worry" about it, because God has given me enough to worry about each day without even considering the big picture. I don't lose sleep over it, now there are other things happening right now in my life that I do lose sleep over but that is another blog for another day or maybe not. Anyway, the point is as mothers, wives, women we usually have enough on our plates without worrying about the Nation as a whole. BUT as women...as mothers, wives, homemakers...we need to know where our hope lies...where our strength comes from...and if the worst should happen, how will we make sure our families are fed, safe, and happy.

So keepin' it positive...
1. Our hope lies in Christ. In the fact that this world is NOT our home, if we are a child of the King, if we have truly accepted His provision of salvation, we WILL be in Heaven one day! Our happiness comes from knowing that...our happiness comes from knowing that our families know the Truth. If they don't we may not be truly happy until they do...Beth Moore read something that said "A mother is only as happy as her saddest child" and I would take it one step further "A mother is only truly happy when her children know the Lord". Perhaps by keepin' it positive, we allow God's light to shine through us!
2. Our strength come from the Lord. Philippians 4:13 (New International Version)
I can do everything through him who gives me strength. Not just some things, but everything. I heard this one time...If He brings you to it, He will bring you through it! The economy didn't catch God by surprise, He see the big picture and we can trust Him with it.
3. Through learning the things our mothers and grandmothers did, we will make sure our families are fed, safe and happy! My grandmother lived through the Depression, maybe yours did to...and they made it! My mother used to be able to feed a family of 5 when my dad didn't get paid for weeks at a time...we made it through! We may have to learn to be creative with our $$, work to plan our meals, find bargains on clothing...maybe even learn to sew or knit...but together, as the community God has called us to be, we will make it through!

So, turn off the television, the radio, the internet (yikes!) and do some research into the simple lives of our past generations. If you live in the Upstate of South Carolina...our Women's Ministry will be tackling topics like gardening, canning, sewing, stretching your food $$ this year...we would love to see you there! :)

Blessings...seriously too blessed to be stressed!
M

No comments: